Diabetes and.....

Humor Tools Life News Lifestyle



Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I've had better...

Last night was awful.

 

I’m talking about sleep of course (get your mind out of the gutter would you?) Last night before bed I realized I only had about 10 units left in my cartridge and did not want to start using a new infusion set before bed. So I put one in (a set that is) but kept using the other one, thinking that I would wake up and insert new cartridge into the pump and hook up to the new site and be that much closer to getting on the bike for my one hour ride. It was actually a good idea.

 

But I should have known it was going to be bad when the set hurt going in – I should have been smart and pulled it out right away – I should have thought ahead. But I didn’t (of course). And thought to myself the pain will subside. It did, but it didn’t go away entirely.

 

I was so exhausted I fell asleep right away – I had biked at a pretty goof clip for about 45 minutes right after work and when you add that to the three hour run yesterday, I was falling asleep through dinner. But every time I turned onto my left side (and I’m a turner) I felt the site, and although it didn’t wake me fully it kept me from sleeping soundly. I ended up sleeping right through my alarm for my ride (darn) and when I finally managed to drag myself up and tried to use the site this AM and it was just unbearable. I pulled the site out only to be met with a nice stream of blood. Yea – nice move Guru.

 

The area hurt so bad that when I tried to insert another set an inch away from the old one it was still too painful – nice and bruised too. (My modeling career will have to be put on hold). I ended up moving the site to my right side.  So I missed my morning ride, my left side hurts like h$ll, and for the first time in two weeks I’m actually having coffee in the morning (and I thought I had almost kicked the caffeine addiction.

 

The insulin pump is wonderful. I’ve said it once, twice, three and one million times. I’d trade my car for it. But it isn’t always a bed of roses.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment