Diabetes and.....

Humor Tools Life News Lifestyle



Tuesday, January 29, 2008

It's an I-pump, not an I-pod

So yesterday while I was running on the side of a road and I had to change my basal rate. I had pulled out my pump and while jogging along I was trying to lower my dose. Some guy almost ran me over (I actually think he swerved on purpose). He had his window down and I heard him yell ‘get rid of the %^&^$# i-pod’! So I did what any other sane adult would do….I picked up a rock and threw at him.

 

Ok, so maybe that was the wrong thing to do (especially since that was on mile 18, and was beginning to slow down). But that brings up an interesting point. And since I had another hour of running, I decided to ponder it. It’s always been discouraged in running circles that you should not run outside with headphones. In fact, many races have outlawed them. Although it’s not strictly enforced, people can be disqualified for their use.  And although I had never thought about it – had redneck Robert decided to swerve another foot, he might have gotten me. And worse yet, had I been wearing headphones I never would have heard him coming.

 

Don’t get me wrong. Music during exercise is awesome. I’ve used it many a time to get through a workout when I just don’t think I could have without it. I think that listening to a favorite song can get lots of people to exercise – and if that’s how it has to be done then so be it. But after this experience, I think I will be sure the i-pod is kept either in the gym or away from oncoming traffic. It’s just not worth the risk.  I hope others will do the same.

 

Plus I want to make sure I have every chance to make that rock hit its target.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment