Diabetes and.....

Humor Tools Life News Lifestyle



Sunday, February 10, 2008

Rollin, Rollin..Ru-Ro

Yes, in the immortal words of Scooby, 'Ru-Ro'. Yesterday I was scheduled to ride for three hours. This time of year it's too darn cold to ride outside. I've got a trainer set up downstairs, and although it's probably easier in the basement I don't always feel like I get a good ride in. So I headed off to the local Y to get my bikin' in.

I was all set. A bag full of glucose tabs, jelly belly sport beans (cause I hardly ever use the glucose tabs) gatorade, and a few power bars. Of course I had my meter, strips, lancing device, Dexcom, extra infusion set (am I forgetting anything?) ah yes, the easy bake oven and kitchen sink.

I was surprised at how well the ride went the first two hours. I began at a pace a little over 20 mph and was able to maintain that pretty comfortably. I had about 8 grams of carb every 15 minutes or so and washed it down with a little water.

I must have gotten a little greedy with the carbs, because when i checked at 1hr 30 min I was up to 198 mg/dl. A good number when exercising, but i started out around 110 mg/dl so that means i was climbing. i questioned whether i should bolus or not, and decided the gym was the best place to do this - if i crashed at least it wouldn't be on the road. So i bolused 0.75u with my pump.
I really began to hammer the last hour, but with about 25 minutes to go I began to get sick of what i was doing. and for me - that's a sign I'm going low. I checked and low an behold, the crash wasn't coming - it already happened. I was 50 mg/dl.

After you bike for 2 1/2 hours and you need another, 1/2 hour, the last thing you want to do is get off, because the whole goal of riding long is to ride long. So I slowed the resistance down and began to force feed myslef the sport beans. I had two packs (25 grams in each pack) of them plus gatorade (22 grams) and after about 15 minutes i felt ok to pick it back up the last 10 minutes.

Not what i had hoped for, but you have to take this kind of stuff in stride; I'd much rather have this happen now then when I'm in a race. I still got the time in, and got to eat jelly belly sport beans - a pretty good training day after all.

3 comments:

  1. what's your normal correction factor? Mine is 80-100 these days and I usually would take no more than 0.2 to 0.3 units at a time during a heavy workout... It doesn't always work, though! glad you had a good workout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I've actually found someone who brings their Easy Bake Oven to the gym too! Mmmmmmmm....cake by light bulb....

    ReplyDelete
  3. My correction factor when I'm not running is 60, but I usually double it when I exercise. Sometimes I get so caught up in what I'm doing though I forgot how sensitive I am when working out.

    ReplyDelete