Diabetes and.....

Humor Tools Life News Lifestyle



Friday, March 14, 2008

So-Long


Don't beleive the picture, I didn’t think today was going to be this hard...

Today was my last day at my old office job; I’m moving out of the corporate office into a sales position in New York – something I’ve wanted for I don’t know how long. It’s been a long time coming. I’ve wanted to be in the field for a long time, but with not wanting to leave the company where I worked (A COMPANY I LOVE) and also needing a job that would fit for my wife’s choice of employment really made things difficult – it had to be the right situation. Which meant it was a long wait.

But it finally came. A sales job in New York that will give me a chance to work with both patients with diabetes and their clinicians face to face, and I can’t tell you who thrilled I am about that. It’s bringing me one step closer to be a diabetes advocate who can go out and exemplify what it means to have diabetes and be successful in the open. I was doing all of these things already of course (but this gives me the chance to interact with people face to ace, and I believe I can have a greater impact then I previously did.)

But it also meant I was going to have to leave some people who have grown dear to me. I’ve been at my current position for over five years, and only a few of us are still there that have been there since the beginning. Many of us have diabetes (We had a section of cubicles we used to call ‘blood sugar row’) and many of us have been through highs and lows together, both in life and in diabetes. After five years, they’re not co-workers, they’re family.

We had a party with a lot of yummy food of course (I’m still training for an ironman) and a lot of well wishes, but it was really very hard. I can only liken it to my college graduation – excited to be moving on but very sad to see it go. Over the years I’ve seen others leave our tight-knit group, and many would leave good bye e-mails. When the time came I couldn’t do it – it was just too emotional.

My grandmother hated it whenever the grandkids said good-bye. She said that good-bye is too final – she preferred so-long because it implies that you’ll see them again. I don’t think anyone noticed at work that day, but I told everyone s- long before I left. You never really say good bye to family.

No comments:

Post a Comment