Diabetes and.....

Humor Tools Life News Lifestyle



Sunday, December 14, 2008

Manic over my MD visit

So I've got see my endocrinologist (or endo for short) this week - it's my first appointment with her, and I'm completely freaking out over it. I've been in the area almost six months now, but it took this long just to find an endo that was accepting new patients and could actually schedule within 6 monhts. That's not a reflection of them - that's the industry. There just aren't alot of endos out there. You know only 8% of people with diabetes actually see an endo??? Crazy.

So back to the freaking out part. I guess it's because I'm not sure what to expect.

Some MD's I've had in the past are all knowing (or at least they think they are). And act like the downloads you provide from your meter or pump wll provide all the information about your life in order to 'fix' everything. (Yes, I had one advise me he needed to 'fix' me). They threaten, huff, sigh, and act like your inconvenincing them.

But then I think about the majority of the patients they see. Non-compliant, unmotivated, and unwilling to even take the effort to bring in the information that an MD would need to even take a wild guess at how to help them with their diabetes. That's an important point - their diabetes. It's not the doctor's disease, it's the patients. and I think far too often patients sit back and expect the MD to fix it. Well, it doesn't work that way.

Hey, don't ignore me, you know you're out there.

So the problem isn't just one side or the other, it's the combination of the two. I don't have an answer how to solve it, but I am going to do my part. I'm going to talk to her, I'm going to tell her what I want I want out of life (and my goals for my disease), and I'm going to bring in the information she asks in order to have her help me take care of my diabetes.

No comments:

Post a Comment